This article was 1st published on our sister Site, The Internet Of All Things
Broadcom Corporation, a global innovation leader in semiconductor solutions for wired and wireless communications, today announced a new Global Navigation Satellite System (GNSS) chip for Internet of Things (IoT) and wearable devices. The advanced chip enables devices such as fitness bands to deliver pinpoint location while consuming minimal power and in some cases can eliminate the need for a separate MCU.
The Broadcom BCM47748 removes a bulk of the signal processing from the device MCU by calculating position, velocity and time (PVT) on-chip, delivering significant system power savings,said the company. The chip uses intelligent firmware to extend battery life while also maintaining accuracy in speed, distance and position for an enhanced user experience.
“Broadcom is extending its navigation leadership into the IoT ecosystem by helping customers deliver a premium location experience without compromising battery life or requiring a costly, power-hungry host processor,” said Prasan Pai, Broadcom Senior Director, Wireless Connectivity. “With more consumers demanding GNSS in a wider variety of applications, we see a tremendous opportunity to expand our reach into new devices with market-leading GNSS technology.”
- PVT computed on-chip
- Integrated GNSS receiver with concurrent support for GPS and GLONASS, combined with accelerometer inputs to produce stable, accurate and low power speed and distance
- Context engine and adaptive firmware to enable low power consumption for every activity and context without compromising accuracy
- Ability to produce GNSS fixes with only 5mA current consumption in certain scenarios
- MCU host interfaces include SPI, UART or I2C
- Sensor interfaces include I2C master, SPI master, I2S, ADC and GPIO
- Large on-chip memory for enhanced PVT accuracy and customer applications
- Embedded processor with self-boot capability
- Geofencing and lifelogging capabilities
- 70 ball WLBGA package with 0.4mm ball pitch
Broadcom Corporation, a FORTUNE 500 company, is a global leader and innovator in semiconductor solutions for wired and wireless communications, offering products that seamlessly deliver voice, video, data and multimedia connectivity in the home, office and mobile environments.
Image Credit: Broadcom